You need to keep your windshield clean for both appearance and safety. No one likes a filthy windshield. Cleaning your windshield sounds simple, but certain household products, like Windex, may soften the hard coating after prolonged use, which makes your windshield more prone to scratches. Here are some of the do’s and don’ts of windshield cleaning.
- Don’t use service station scrubbers. The sponges on these wands are home to many abrasives and chemicals that are harmful. They may also be damaged and can scratch your glass.
- Don’t use paper towels. This can be tempting at service stations in particular. Paper towels are made of processed wood pulp. Using this material on your windshield can be detrimental.
- Don’t use abrasive scrubbers such as steel wool. Even the finest steel wool can result in innumerable micro-scratches on the glass surface. These micro-scratches are quite noticeable, and when reflecting direct sunlight can be extremely distracting while driving, and diminish your view of the road ahead.
- Use a wet washcloth. Keep a washcloth in your car or home that is used specifically for cleaning your windshield. Soft terry cloth is the best material. Try not to use a circular motion, but instead go up-down or side-side.
- Use a clay bar. The Diamondite Glass Cleaning Clay is a popular one. These bars remove entrenched contaminants in the glass. The windshield’s surface should feel smooth after this.
- Use an Ammonia-free Cleaner. This will help ensure that your windshield is streak free. Ammonia releases hazardous fumes that should not be inhaled, and is common in many of your household cleaning products. Be sure to use a microfiber-polishing towel when applying cleaner to your windshield.
- Work inside or in the shade on dry glass. Direct sunlight tends to cause your glass cleaner to evaporate very quickly. This can be avoided by cleaning your glass in a garage, under a car port, or in the shade of a tree.
DeDona Tint & Sound has been serving clients in Greensboro, NC, and surrounding areas since 1996. Driven by our passion for cars, we offer a variety of automotive services including automotive window tinting, car wraps, vinyl graphics, paint protection film, audio, and security features. Drawing on our vast experience with adhesive solutions, we expanded our services to include window film and adhesive graphics for commercial buildings. Whether you’re looking for a car tint place near you or a commercial window film installer, DeDona’s got you covered. Request a free quote!